Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Ribbon Triangles

I wanted to make something fun for Ms. Mary, my daughter's ballet teacher, and chose the "Ribbon Triangles" pattern and Tartellete ribbon yarn, both from Knit One Crochet Two and both from Holly Spring Homespun. A pair of size 17 needles and a weekend later, I was done!

The intriguing part of this pattern is that the scarf self-fringes. You knit a giant triangle and then drop stitches - on purpose! - along one edge. I'm sure this is old hat (or scarf!) to you Clap-ers, but I was so amazed, I took pictures!

Here's the end of the big triangle, and the four victim stitches:


Here are the stitches on the loose (I left the needles close by in case I got cold feet!):


And the fringe begins! The unravelling was really fun.


And here is the final product:



I'd make this scarf again with no worries. It knits up really quickly and makes a nice size triangular scarf for only two skeins of yarn. The pattern can also be extended to a shawl by using four skeins, but I would think that with the fringes, it might be a bit much, especially as Ms. Mary is a tiny person.

Hope she likes the scarf version!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger Madge said...

Mary will love this scarf and appreciate the workmanship and craft, as she is a knitter herself. Fantastic idea, could not have thought of a better gift than your scarf.
Happy dancing in this years production! What is the theme, BTW?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home