Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Day Four

We were rolling early on Day Four to get to the Tower of London by opening at 9. We did a great job, but unfortunately a funeral held up opening time 'til 10:30. We used the time for a snack at Eat (toffee waffles!) and to walk along the Thames. Here we posed for a quick pic at the Tower Bridge (look closely - it's my blog pictorial debut!).



We were able to see Traitor's Gate at the side of the Tower of London. Out of all the reading that we had done about the place and this gate in particular, I'd swear it never mentioned that it was a water entry. Even the kids were surprised. A nice reminder that I seldom know what I am talking about. Here is my daughter as a defiant traitor:



Finally, they let us (and a thousand others) in for a tour. I don't think that the former inhabitants smiled this much when entering:



The White Tower was the first part of the complex and was begun by William the Conqueror in 1075. That's as in almost a thousand years ago. Thousand. With a "th".



After an unexpectedly long visit at the Tower, we scrapped plans to take in Greenwich and made our way to the shopping mecca of Harrods. Dinner, souvenir shopping, and Princess Di/Dodi memorials galore later, we limped home with full bellies and full shopping bags.



And my husband wanted a relaxing vacation!

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 8:27 AM, Blogger amy said...

love all the pics and sudden surge of posts. save some for Friday!

and, tell the birthday boy HAPPY 4-0!!!

 
At 7:53 AM, Blogger Kelly McCants said...

this is so very cool! I am on a tudor kick with my person reading so this is very cool for me! Traitors gate, poor foolish Ann Boylan. What did she think, that it would not happen to her too. You can't teach a man such tricks and think you are not going to suffer from such knowledge.

It looks like you and your family had the BEST time ever. WOW I am green with envy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home