Monday, December 03, 2007

It's All About Me

I've heard it said that over time pets and their owners start to look alike. I think the same may be true of my knitting. It seems that everything I am making lately winds up fitting not the intended recipient, but me. Larger sizes, smaller sizes - it all comes back to my size.

Case in Point #1:

I'm making my Mom a pair of socks for Christmas. Sockotta, size 1 dpns, top down, pattern from the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns. Since I was (and still am) getting 8 stitches per inch for gauge, I simply followed the charts for my mom's regular-width, size 7 feet. Problem is they look like lumberjack socks. I slipped them on to check (as I have the same length, but wider, foot) and they fit me pretty well. Certainly not at all tight. Maybe even a little bit too long (and I stopped early on the foot length because it was getting so big).

Here's how they look (that's an ornamental pumpkin - they're not THAT big!):



And here's how the foot looks to me:



L-o-n-g.

The good news is that I weighed the finished sock and I have enough yarn for the second sock. I think that I'll finish these off and give them to my mom. If they don't fit her, I'll get a new pair of socks and Mom can pick her new pair.

Case in Point #2:

Dad's getting a pair of convertible fingerless gloves/mittens featured on the cover of Knit Pick's latest catalogue. I really like the pattern and the Shamrock yarn it calls for. Here's what I have so far:



The flecks in the brown are colorful enough to make the knitting fun, but not too flashy for my Dad.



Yummy, no?



Here's a view of all the openings. I slipped this one on also to check for size - and guess what? Yep. This one fits, also. Really well. Looks like my gauge got tighter, so I'm reswatching now. I made a note in case I ever make a pair for myself.

Why is that when I knit for myself it never seems to quite fit (I've gone through 2 sock patterns making socks that are way too wide even for me), but when I want to knit for others, it all come back to my size?

3 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Blogger Charity said...

I really like the Dad mitts - the yarn looks great! :0)

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Omigosh, when I first starting reading I thought you were going to say that you were begining to look like Tubby! Soooo glad that is not the case....
Dad's yarn is fabo....luv it.

 
At 4:57 AM, Blogger zacoo said...

We are China online Wholesale Beads store, China Wholesale Beads is your best choice. China jewelry findings and jewelry making supplies for wholesale.We offer you Jewelry Supplies, Jewelry Findings, Jewelry Beads at the cheapest price. We are specialized in Wholesale Jewelry Supplies, Wholesale Jewelry Findings, Tibetan Style Beads, Tibetan Silver Beads, Tibetan Silver Charms, Wholesale Acrylic Beads, Wholesale Crystal Beads, Wholesale Jewelry Charms, Pandora Style Beads, Lampwork Beads, Necklace Pendants, European Beads. Buy more get more discount.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home