Thursday, June 22, 2006

5-Hour Baby Sweater

My friend, Amy, wowed me with this sweater and was nice enough to pass along the pattern. It is called the 5-Hour Baby Sweater, but that is not a guarantee. Or really even a promise. Or even very likely in my case.

It took me about 11 hours of knitting to complete what my favorite newborn baby model is sporting below (unblocked with loose ends a plenty):


The front without closures.


Detail of the back.


The south side of a north bound baby.

This pattern is fun - once you figure out what is going on (maybe the 5-hours refers to the length of time you need to spend noodling over the directions). The pattern instructions are one row per line (mostly) and you start at the neck and knit down, so the only finishing is the underarm seams. Nice!

I used Karabella Aurora 8 from Unraveled's last sale. The pattern calls for 4 oz. of worsted weight yarn using #10.5 needles. No gauge or dimensions are given. Hard core! I went down to #7s to get a nice feel on the yoke section and really liked the feel of the sweater in the st st part. I bought 4 balls of 50 g (1.75 oz.) 90 m 98 yd. yarn to have enough if the pattern was way off. I used only 2 skeins - with hopefully enough left for the modification I have planned.

If you notice, the underarms are unseamed. I think the arms are WAY too tight. I like that they are a little short, but if I can't get Big Baby's little stuffed sausage arms into it easily, no one will want to shove a squawling infant in it either. I'm planning on giving it to my nephew-to-be in California and since my brother will be a first time parent, he may appreciate my enlarging the sleeves. I'm planning to pick up stitches along the length of the arm and knit 4-6 rows of garter stitch to make a sort of sleeve gusset (and to avoid a seam). I'll let you know if it works.

Also - Amy - what about closures? There are no buttonholes in the pattern. Should I add some in my next attempt? Use snaps and buttons? Rubber bands? Help!

And hey - if it doesn't fit, it is so cute it will make a great little sweater to use as a nursery room decoration.

This project definitely falls into the to-be-continued category.




5 Comments:

At 5:30 PM, Blogger Mary said...

That is adorable and looks like something even I can do. I'd be interested in hearing how you'd modify the pattern so that the sleeves aren't so tight, without having to do the after-the-fact stuff you're doing with the gusset.

I'm definitely interested to see what you decided to do for the closures. I think I'd probably want to do buttonholes, but would have to figure out where in the pattern to put them....

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger DustBunniesCanWait said...

Very cute sweater. If it was me, I would see if I could get some smallish buttons that wouldn't need a buttonhole. Just push the button through :-) (I do that a lot on barbie's stuff)

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Nutrageous! said...

Is this the original 5 hour or the Lorraine Major variation? I have made both. It fits big babies and small because it stretches readily! No need for gusset.

http://www.minidata.co.nz/major/freepatt/patt01.htm is the link.

I have a photo on my blog
knitsome.blogspot.com

Cheers! from the Nut

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Dedy Rachman said...

An fascinating dialogue is worth comment. I feel that you must write extra on this topic, it won’t be a taboo subject but usually people are not enough to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers New SUV Car, Hybrid Car Specifications, Keep healthy naturally, Ramalan harian, Game online indonesia

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

But I may be one who does not careEver to have tree bloom or bear.
Leaves and bark may be tree enough.Some giant trees hidh81ke have bloom so small.
Wholesale New Era Hats
Cheap 59fifty Hats
Cheap New Era Hats
New Era Snapback Hats
New Era Fitted Hats

 

Post a Comment

<< Home