Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sew I Knit?

I missed joining this group last month, but made a skirt anyway. You should be SO glad that I didn't get any pictures of that little monstrosity!

So this month, the theme is bags. Unfortunately (or not), it's also use what you have month. My idea was to make a little bag for walking and knitting socks. Something light and airy. Well, what else was I going to use, but window screening (a.k.a. the miracle-fabric-of-the-future)?! I have a roll from a Nak-Nak/bug-catching bag for the kids. Great stuff!

The bug caught me after dinner last night, so the pictures are a little dark, but here's what I did:
I got out my scrapbooking supplies (yea for Creative Memories!) to cut a quick, perfect circle. I even used the mat and blade (medium circle with blue blade on the outside for those of you cutting along at home!).



I then measured out a rectangle that was as wide as the circle's circumference and as tall as I wanted to bag to be:



I then sewed the bottom circle to the rectangle's width - overlapping the side seam slightly. I then sewed up the side seam. I used fun rainbow thread on my first attempt, but used just solid red later. I pinned bias trim that I already had around the top to finish the edge and make a pocket for the elastic cording I wanted to use for a drawstring top:



I then realized that I didn't know if I had a safety pin small enough for my casing. Eureka! I still had my safety pins left over from my quilting days (in a Hershey's Cocoa box - safe and delicious smelling!) so I rooted through the stash looking for a tiny one. The only thing more fun than coaxing elastic through a casing is sorting through this barrel of monkeys:



I dodged that bullet! So it was onward to attaching the little-barrel-shaped-thing-that-is-on-the-end-of-strings-you-don't-want-sucked-back-into-your-jacket. Then I realized that it was too big and a little too use-what-you-have-month looking. I reworked my "design" and came up with this:



Maybe a fun friend would like this? (special note to sadly-blogless friends who knit and walk: you can custom order yours!) There's even a pocket to stash extra bamboo dpns to replace broken ones! And a label - because now we've been told how important a label can be!

Now that I got that out of my system - I need to go knit!


3 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Jenni said...

I love your idea to use fabric screen! You will able to see your yarn in your bag and it is so much more cool than using clear plastic!

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oh my, who knew you were such a multi-crafter! That bag is one of the cutest and most creative I've seen in a long time. You keep making stuff like that and I'll have to force you to participate in a craft show! I just love it.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Mary said...

So clever and original! Kudos!

I'm guessing it might be important to use nylon, rather than aluminum screen fabric, so that it won't snag the yarn if it breaks?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home