Tuesday, April 25, 2006

You Say Pot-tay-toe, I say Po-tah-toe!

The first peony appeared yesterday!





There seem to be two pronunciations: pee-OH-knee and PEE-ah-knee. The first reminds me of the older gentleman who gifted these to me many years ago. He had tens upon tens of plants lined up in long rows. An extremely competent, utilitarian gardener. Very much the kind, country kind of guy. I'm more of the pretty plant grower variety, and pronounce this favorite flower Pee-ah-knee. I wish I knew people who said it the first way - I miss hearing it.



The pinks are lying in wait to explode soon!

1 Comments:

At 1:25 PM, Blogger Mary said...

It's like CLEM-atis and Clem-AT-is. I prefer the first pronunciation, emphasizing CLEM. And I prefer your pronunciation of PE-ony.

Everything in my garden is slow, slow, slow this year, thanks to last summer's and this spring's droughts, I fear. And alas, I think I've lost my hydrangeas once and for all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home