I was so enchanted to see the Wee Bunny over at Wee Wonderfuls. She has captured the very essence of bunniness! I printed out the pattern to get to sometime soon, but kept thinking about it all afternoon. As soon as the little people were in bed, I perused through my felt stash to see what there was to work with. This brown felt fairly jumped out (pun intended!) at me, so the rest just came together from there. Because doesn't every little brown bunny need pink ears? and a puffy white belly? and maybe a friend to come along for the ride?All the supplies huddled on my sewing table:
Bunny ears need a little wire to allow them to fully express their bunny thoughts. I didn't want the ends to hurt anyone little and I didn't want to sew over them, so I came up with this idea with floral wire and tape:
Adding the facial features was harder than I thought. I made a felt nose and blanket-stitched around it to endure the inevitable nose wiggles bunnies are well known for:
After sewing up the body, it was time to turn her inside out. How funny that her little face popped out first, as if to say "Hello!".
The first bunny (soon to be named Daisy) watched her friend getting stitched up:
Boy, sewing that base is tricky!
I wanted to stuff them last night, but the stuffing got relegated to the attic during my last organizational binge, and I couldn't get up there without trekking through my daughter's room. But I was up there first thing this morning - and here the bunnies are awaiting their date with plumpness:
But wait - what kind of weighted base can I use? I made little sacks out of scrap felt (is there any other kind?) and used aquarium rocks to fill them.
Here the bunnies are getting their last filling while crossword puzzles and button sorting abound at the "school" table:
Here they are all stuffed and ready to play in the last freakishly warm day this week. The weighted bases helped keep them from blowing away!
After consulting with the naming committee, the white-eyed bunny has been dubbed "Pom" and the black-eyed bunny is now "Daisy". Why the names? Well, the tails inspired the naming. I loved how Daisy tail is made out of a fun flower (I added feet to her in case she had places to go on important bunny business).
Pom has a more flattering portrait:
Here the ladies are visiting during a spring walk in the local daffodil park (you can see Pom's tail made of a pom pom constructed from strips of felt left from her assembly):
Almost as much as I love the bunnies and the fun they've inspired here today, I really love that all of the materials were found here in my house! No new purchases or trips to the store. Imagine that all this loveliness and frolicking was right here all along!
Thanks Wee Wonderfuls for the LOVELY pattern and the inspiration.