Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chili Cook-Off

We had the delight to participate in our church's third annual chili cook-off this weekend.

A little history: my son loves chili and tried his hand at an entry last year. His Root-Beer Braised Bacon Bonanza didn't quite get him on the medal stand, but fun was had by all. I took home the "Hottest Chili" award to reside with my "People's Choice" and "First Place" from the first year of the cook-off. Brendan's favorite part of the event: the pie eating contest. He won the last two years. So the stakes were high this year!



Here's the newest cook in the house with his Meat and Bean Whirlwind creation. (The names!)

All the entries lined up on the judges station. The closest is my son's and mine is right beside his. We had an unusually warm day, so my entree was "Tropical Chili" (or "It's 70 degrees outside Chili" or Cilantro Rice topped with Tropical Chili and garnished with Pineapple Salsa"). There was no award for most confusing entree.




While the judges "chewed" over their decisions. it was time for pie eating!



My son had to relinquish his reigning champ status when he came in second. Things weren't starting out too well.

But then it was time to announce the chili winners. Here was the result for our table, but who got "People's Choice" and who got "First Place"?


My son beat me in my own kitchen!


I will never live this down!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home