Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Armhole Remedy

One of my goals for 2007 is to spend more time sewing. Especially for the little ones in the house. At ages 8 and almost 6, I don't know how long I'll have before they don't think my sewing is so cool. Also, at size 6/7, my daughter is leaving the safe venue of little girls' clothing and entering hoochie mama central. Why do clothing manufacturers think that I want to buy clothes for my 6 year old that I wouldn't let my sixteen year old wear?

OK - enough of the soapbox - and back to the sewing room. I finished a nightgown for my daughter yesterday and when she tried it on, we agreed that the arm holes were tight. It is gathered around the neck, so there are no sleeve caps to worry with, so my solution was so cut the armholes deeper. But how to make them the same on both sides?

Here is the second armhole before the remedy:



I sewed and cut one side, trying hard to keep the armhole shape the same, just making it deeper. When I cut out the excess I noticed that it would make a perfect template for the second side. Here is the second armhole with the first armhole's excess laid on top:



I marked the cutting line with a blue disappearing marker:



And then sewed the new stitching line underneath it (almost got that backward!):



Added a second line of stitching for strength:



And cut the excess:



Two armholes, same remedy - and it FITS!

Tomorrow: garment completion celebration!

1 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cunning! And the age inappropriate thing is the same for boys. A 6 year old in a graffiti hoodie complete with skulls? I think not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home