Sunday, July 09, 2006

Will They or Won't They?

I love canning. Didn't particularly like it when I was growing up and could have helped my parents, but when a former co-worker started showing up with 5-gallon buckets of produce, I knew what to do!

I started naming whatever I was canning for whatever might be happening at the same time. Thus, my husband's favorite bread and butter pickles became "P.E. Pickles" because I was canning them on the day he got his letter informing his that he had passed his Professional Engineer's exam. I think I made "Prego Pickles", also, because I remember canning 48 pints of pickles in one day while pregnant with my son. Unfortunately, this charming habit means that I don't know what the original recipe was called and thus where to find it, so named canning accomplishments are rarely repeated.

Fruit is a favorite to can. Jams, jellies, and even fruit pie fillings are great to eat and to give to others. But my preserves attempts always have an undercurrent of tension running through the kitchen: "Will they or won't they set up?".

I think I've cleared the naming and setting obstacles with my Firecracker Jelly recipe. It was named for the 4th of July weekend when it was originally made and with a nod toward the heat is can generate. It seems to set up every time (yea for liquid Certo) and, even better, I know where the recipe is!


I fired up a batch last night. Here are the jalapenos giving their goodness for the cause:



After adding green peppers, vinegar, and sugar; they made a great, green, gloopy stew. I finished up with processing the batch and went straight to bed. So when I got up this morning with one question on my mind, I found my perfectly set up jellies waiting for me.



They did!

2 Comments:

At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am stopping by to invite you to participate in the The Carnival of Home Preserving.

It is a Carnival to Share Recipes and How-To's for Canning, Freezing, Dehydrating (drying), and Root Cellaring of Fruits, Vegetables, and Herbs.

The first edition is posted if you would like to come visit:

Carnival of Home Preserving - July 14, 2008 Edition

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/07/carnival-of-home-preserving-july-14.html

the second edition is here:

http://laurawilliamsmusings.blogspot.com/2008/07/carnival-of-home-preserving-jul-21-2008.html

Submit your blog post (new or one of your archived ones that meets the above description) to the next edition of carnival of home preserving using the carnival submission form.

http://blogcarnival.com/bc/submit_4663.html

The Deadline to Submit is every Sunday 6pm EST

The Carnival posted by that Monday on the respective Host's blog.

Everyone is welcome to join in (beginners and experienced alike).

Laura

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger 2011bagnews said...

Currently, cheap replica coach bags the branded-handbags rtxycxy0ns are too luxury for most people, so we offer replica gucci handbag to achieve cheap replica coach purses your dream of having exquisite high-quality hangbags. The design is perfect and the material is superior. You don’t replica gucci bags need to worry about the quality of our products.The style is various, here we have gucci totebags, gucci shoulder bag, gucci top handle bag and gucci messenger bag for sale.
Chanel replica handbags proves to get a fantastic choice for girls who are replica Gucci extremely style conscious but are unable to afford the authentic branded handbags. The makers of those replica handbags requires total treatment to compare to the replica Chanel bags exact start looking belonging to the authentic 1 and also identical logo is imprinted for the handbags and purses to provide identical start looking replica Coach bags and really feel for the bags. The principal variation in between the authentic and replica Chanel handbags is in its price. Replica Chanel handbags are accessible at half belonging to the authentic price. credited for the availability of replica Chanel handbags the selling of authentic has become considerably hampered as various girls choose to purchase the replica 1 on account of decrease price.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home