Saturday, April 01, 2006

It's Flash Your Stash Day!

And me, without a thing to wear!

When I started knitting, I devoted a very large drawer in a bureau in my living room for knitting supplies and yarn. I promised not to exceed it. We have a small house and I have been working hard to make it feel bigger by having less stuff. I didn't want to undo all my hard work with a few yarn crawls. Also, when I started, I was very frustrated by finding yarn I loved with no pattern or vice versa, so I try to buy specific yarn for specific projects. The only exceptions are saving good leftovers and hardback books that were taking a beating in the drawer.

So here's my drawer:




I do have a few works in progress (in their totes):



New or special skeins, I like to display in the iron bird bath beside the bureau (now starring the recent Kool Aid fever results):



And that's it. Really.

I am really shocked by the sheer amounts of yarn that others have accumulated. It makes me a little nauseous to think of how much money and space all the excess consumes (not to mention the burden of work left undone calling to you from the depths of your stash). I can't live like that, so this is what works for me.


Down with the stash!

8 Comments:

At 5:16 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

So few people have fear of stash like I do! I am so glad to think you feel the same! I sometimes feel a bit....choked? by my stash. I could say it blocks my creativity. I like to think of something to make, buy the stuff and make it. Not just buy nice stuff...

I feel stifled by anything bought and failed, or unfinished.

I think other knitters work the opposite way. Having said that, sock yarn is somewhat stashable. I always want a sock available, I I have a small bag of sock stash. Enough for maybe 2-3 pairs.

It bothers me when I have large amounts of ends and leftovers too, a skein of this, a partial of this. I have been looking at the large-block log cabins in Mason Dixon....they would be great leftover users!

Glad 2 hear about your fear of stash as well!

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Mary said...

I admire your restraint! I, too, have a small house and should have such willpower! I think after the upcoming two fiber festivals, that will be IT for the year for me. At least I hope so.

Regarding Suzannne's comments -- perhaps there's something anti-Feng Shui about stash accumulation that blocks creativity....

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger sheep#100 said...

I used to have a small stash too then people started giving me stuff and I started having leftovers from projects and got hooked on socks....

See my Stash Flash

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I once was like you... I only bought yarn for a project and completed it. Then the fuzzy yarn-stash-fairy came and brainwashed me. ;-)

 
At 12:03 AM, Blogger Chelle said...

I used to have a tidy stash too...cherish this time, it just might be the calm before the storm! LOL

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never had a stash until recently. I'm collecting because I'm on a one year contract and there's a mandatory 3 months downtime before I can sign a new contract with them if they need me back. So I'm stashing like a little squirrel for a rainy day. It really is addicting though...yarn is just as fun to collect and pet as it is to work with...lol.

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger bitterknitter said...

I like you ideas on stashing. Now that I've pretty much run out of places to hide my stash, I've got to start using it! Luckily almost every ball that I own has a project/recipient in mind. You've got some pretty yarns in that drawer!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger ICJ said...

You are the most reasonable knitter I have ever seen! GOOD FOR YOU!!!

I try to be more like you!

See my stash here.


There is still too much of it but I am working on it! I joined Stashalong and I am on "yarn diet" for a month!

Isabelle :)
http://tricotine.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home