Tuesday, May 20, 2008

200

I can't believe that this is post #200 for TenTen. All these words and I still haven't said anything!!

But it is a good time to reassess. Internet issues plague me and my posting abilities, making blogging more work and less fun. My knitting is on the side line in an attempt to repair a lingering case of tennis elbow. So I am moving toward using this as a glimpse of our whole family life. As is the case in my real life, my private endeavors seldom stay that way. They are inseparable from my family.

Case in point: strawberry picking. The kids are finally old enough to pick more than they eat and they really helped in the kitchen making the jam. So this wasn't my venture to the fields and the ensuing canning activities - it was OUR story.

Having kids gives me a different perspective of life. I wouldn't have noticed this toad, let alone spent 20 minutes hunting and losing and re-hunting him:

Child labor (yes, my children are really that pale!):

My son hunts for strawberries with the same gusto as he searches for archeology finds:


It's good to pick with friends. Lots of friends.

Evidence of a hard morning's work:

And quick - one more family portrait (with a bigger me!):


And what was the end result?


Luscious strawberry jam!

My absolute favorite part is when you have to skim off the hot jam foam before ladling it into jars. We made 3 batches, so we had a nice little bowl full of strawberry fluff. Delightful!

We packed this jar with State Fair intentions, so I'll keep you posted.

I'm one step along on my resolution to can more this year. It is awfully fun in May when the weather is gorgeous. I'll let you know how August goes!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 12:23 AM, Blogger Charity said...

Happy 200! Mmmm, strawberry jam is wonderful - I was just wondering the other day if I have time/energy to make up a batch before this giant baby arrives. :0) Another parallel, perhaps?

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

Can I just say.....I AM SO HOMESICK after reading this post!! Such a beautiful experience with a delicious outcome. WE just wish we could have been amongst the friends. ;)

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger amy said...

I love your "life" posts! and what a great little photographer you are! makes me want to eat the screen.

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger dottycookie said...

Congrats on 200 posts! It's a couple of years since I made straberry jam but I clearly remember the skimmed off fluff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home